By Chor-Ching Fan & Dave Trout
Proposed Changes to NIST SP 800-171 Revision 3 Enhance Cybersecurity Measures
NIST SP 800-171 is a publication by NIST that provides security requirements for safeguarding Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). The guidelines cover various security domains, including access control, configuration management, incident response, and system and communication protection. Compliance with NIST SP 800-171 is required for organizations handling CUI on behalf of the federal government. Organizations must demonstrate that they have implemented security measures that effectively mitigate risks associated with CUI. Implementing the guidelines outlined in NIST SP 800-171 can significantly enhance an organization’s cybersecurity posture and demonstrate its commitment to data security and privacy. Key changes in 800-171 Rev 3’s include:
- The proposed changes to NIST SP 800-171 Revision 3 signify a significant advancement in cybersecurity measures for safeguarding Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI).
- The revision incorporates updates from NIST SP 800-53 Revision 5 and the NIST SP 800-53B moderate control baseline, reflecting the evolving threat landscape and meeting the specific needs of federal and nonfederal organizations.
- Notable changes include increased specificity in security requirements to remove ambiguity and clearly delineate the scope of assessments.
- The revision also offers updated tailoring criteria, and introduces organization-defined parameters (ODP) in selected security requirements to enhance flexibility and risk management.
- Draft Revision 3 also introduces a prototype CUI overlay, serving as a framework that bridges the CUI security requirements with the SP 800-53 controls. This overlay aims to streamline the implementation process and provide clearer guidance for organizations to protect sensitive information effectively.
Additional supplementary resources, including an FAQ document and a detailed analysis of the changes between Revision 2 and Revision 3 facilitate stakeholder feedback and support organizations in understanding and implementing the revised requirements.
If you’d like to learn more about the proposed changes to NIST SP 800-171 Revision 3, the experts at Rizkly offer a cost-effective solution for achieving compliance. Rizkly’s Guided Security and Compliance (GCaaS) approach is ready to help government contractors transition to NIST SP 800-171 Revision 3 and streamline compliance operations to sustain 800-171 at reduced costs compared to traditional consulting and manual approaches. Rizkly helps you achieve compliance in a shorter timeframe and at reduced costs compared to traditional consulting solutions. Our secure cloud-based service for managing compliance tasks comes complete with SP 800-171 controls, mapping, and templates. Combined with dedicated NIST 800-171 expert guidance, the Rizkly cybersecurity compliance platform is the effective and affordable solution for your compliance challenges.